Monday, April 2, 2012

Queen's Lola Lounge


Sometimes it can be extremely hard to leave the Manhattan borough, especially when you know no matter what happens you can easily find a place to retreat with lesbians and still have a great night. After much talk about the lesbian scene in Queens, NY from friends, my fiancee and I had to go. One thing to note first is, Lola's Lounge is only truly dedicated to lesbians on Saturday nights which they call "Girls Go Wild" (really not sure if I like that name). They do have other nights for lesbians, but Saturday is the primary day. Before we even walked into the building we knew this place was different. My fiancee is Dominican and we always see a variety of lesbians in Manhattan night clubs, but at Lola's Lounge it was clear that more than the majority were Spanish. Apparently the Lesbian Spanish community is rich, vibrant, and clearly VISIBLE in Queens. Honestly, I never would have thought.

If you think I'm wrong please go to Lola's because you will experience something a little out of the ordinary that you typically wouldn't see in Manhattan. The crowd by age was a pretty equivalent to my own (I’m 24). I feel like it was a 50/50 mix between early 20's to early/late 30's, which was great for someone around my age. In some places I have been to I can definitely say they appeal to even older crowds, like Henrietta Hudson. Overall great impression and it was a good feel to be in a different scene.

So what were the positives vs. the negatives??

Positives:
1. Music. It was a great mixture of bachata, reggae and hip hop. Although there was a slight interruption due to a 2005 Spanish awards idol trying to take the stage. Note to Lola's don't let people come in that think they are famous take the mike when they are obviously drunk.

2. Huge space. Most places in NYC are small and cramp. This floor had enough room for everyone. They also had a nice section for group seating.

3. Entertainment Area. This included flat screens to watch the games, pool tables and an outdoor area for the summer. I didn't try the food, but I hear it amazing too. There are also plenty of hookah's to go around.

Negatives:
1. Location. Yes I agree that you need to spread the wealth on the location of lesbian clubs. However, I guess I'm being a little selfish when I say I wish this place was in Manhattan, but it would also be wrong to take a great lesbian night club from the home of others. So this one I'll let you guys be the judge of.

2. Capacity limit. They seemed to hit their capacity fairly quick probably around 2:00am. Keep in mind people don't usually go until after midnight anyway. It didn't seem packed at all. Like I said before the space was great for dancing and it wasn't even near to the point of overwhelming touches.

3. Drink Prices. Some think the drink prices are great. I on the other hand think that $9 for a cranberry & vodka with limited alcohol is not worth it, maybe $7. But no matter what people are going to buy it.

So there you have it, make a judge call based on what you are looking for. I think this place is worth a shot to experience if any of the above interested you. Happy Searching!



~ TalkLesbian

No comments:

Post a Comment